AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks.
AmbientTalk is a research platform to experiment with new language features or programming abstractions to facilitate the construction of software that has to run in highly volatile networks exhibiting intermittent connectivity and little infrastructure.
The language's concurrency features are founded on the actor model and have been largely influenced by the E programming language. The language's object-oriented features find their influence in languages like Smalltalk (i.e. block closures, keyworded messages) and Self (prototype-based programming, delegation). Finally, the language has a functional core, inspired by Scheme and Pico.
AmbientTalk's main differences with mainstream languages are that:
· It employs a purely event-driven concurrency framework, founded on actors.
· It abandons the RPC abstraction in favor of asynchronous, non-blocking message passing. Because the system automatically buffers such messages while the receiver of the message is disconnected, the programmer can abstract from temporary network failures by default.
· It has built-in programming language constructs for objects to discover one another in the local ad hoc network. Peer-to-peer service discovery is built into the language.
· It features a dynamic OO kernel language built upon the principles of prototype-based programming. The kernel language supports reflection using mirrors, which provide access to an extensive metaobject protocol, making the language extensible from within itself.
· The language syntax derives primarily from the 'curly brace' family of languages, but it mixes in the keyworded messaging syntax from Smalltalk as well. This, together with AmbientTalk's lightweight block syntax, enables you to easily build your own control structures.
· The current implementation of AmbientTalk embraces the JVM as a platform. It's easy for AmbientTalk programs to use Java libraries, and it's easy for Java objects to use AmbientTalk as an embedded scripting language. This interaction is safe: even when AmbientTalk objects are "exposed" to the JVM, JVM threads cannot violate the concurrency constraints of AmbientTalk's actor model.
AmbientTalk runs on J2SE, J2ME under the connected device configuration (CDC), and Android 2.1 Platform.
Like it? Share with your friends!
Other Android Freeware of Developer «AmbientTalk Team»:
AmbientTalk Interpreter AmbientTalk Interpreter - AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks
weScribble weScribble - Draw with your friends!
Draw with your enemies!
Draw with anyone who has an Android device... and a finger!
This is a demo version of the weScribble application for collaborative drawing.
You can draw with anyone on the same wireless network, with changes synchronizing in real time
Hecl Hecl The Hecl Programming Language is a high-level, open source scripting language implemented in Java. It is intended to be small, extensible, extremely flexible, and easy to learn and use. Infact, it's small enough that it runs on J2ME-enabled cell phones!
Why Hecl? Hecl is intended as a complement to the Java programming language, not a replacement
C and Java Programs C & Java Programs has been designed to reduce the complexity of finding programs online
Learn PHP v2 This tutorial is designed for absolute beginners
Google Android 2.1 |
Google Android 2.2 |
Google Android 2.3 |
Google Android 3.0 |
Google Android 3.1 |
Google Android 3.2 |
Google Android 4.0 |
Google Android 4.1 |
Google Android 4.2 |
Google Android 4.3 |
Google Android 4.4 |
Google Android 5.x |
Google Android 6.x |
Google Android 7.x |
Java ME |
Java Nokia 240x320 |
Java SE 240x320 |
Comments on AmbientTalk:
Date: 14 Feb 14
FreewareAndroid - Free Downloads Android Market Apps, Applications, Games, APK, WiFi, Sync, GPS for Google Android OS